One of the major functions of statistical analysis is to describe the data in a way that is easy to comprehend and communicate. This can be done both by presenting the data in graphical form and by calculating various summary statistics, such as; the measures of central tendency and the measures of variability. The graphical techniques come under the broad category of Data Visualization that enables the analyst to describe a data set graphically that is more concise than the original data. The techniques of data visualization will help you reveal the essential characteristics of the data using graphs which are critical in effective decision making.
The graphical techniques described in this book are useful in the following ways:
- The techniques will help you gain insight into the way the variable or variables seem to behave.
- The graphical techniques enable one to understand how the values of a random variable under study are distributed.
- The shapes produced using the graphical techniques help select an appropriate theoretical distribution for the random variable in question.
- The charts and graphs help us visualize the important characteristics of data which are usually not apparent from the raw data.
- Some of the visual representation of the data provide excellent means of comparing data from processes, checking the variation, and taking corrective actions when the deviation from stable conditions occur.
We have presented numerous graphical techniques including their applications in business and industry. You may be familiar with many of them. In this text, we discuss the theory behind them in detail. We will explain how to construct these graphs and charts using the computer and explain their important characteristics.
Our training course presents simple to complex graphical techniques used in Statistics, Data Analysis and Six Sigma Quality. We also discuss visual representation using big data. Upon completion of this book, you should be able to understand the importance of visual representation. The visual or graphical representations presented here will help you describe and understand the data, and will enable you to draw meaningful conclusions that in turn, will help you make effective decisions and draw conclusions. We present numerous graphical techniques in this course with instructions.